July 15, 2014

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2014 Race Report: Bike


Bike

The bike portion of the race consisted of 2 laps of a double out and back course centered downtown CDA.  The first out and back was shorter and significantly easier than the second.  I’d say the highlight of the first out and back was the beautiful view of the lake and the bagpipers at the top of a short hill.  This dedicated group was out there during the entire bike portion of the event rockin’ the bagpipes!  Awesome!  

The second out and back loop had much more challenging climbs... I felt strong during the first trip through this part of the course.  The second time… it was harder.   There was a noticeable headwind that increased in strength throughout the day.  This made the second lap through the hills the most physically and mentally challenging portion of the entire IMCDA course for me.

The highlight of this second part of the course was pedaling past many dudes on the uphill climbs.
  I also gained a little strength as I passed each intermediate cutoff checkpoint.  I have to admit, I was a little emotional as my bike computer read mile 89 because this was the farthest I had gotten in an ironman race to date!  I knew as soon as I got past mile 89 I’d make it to the finish line!


Throughout the bike course, the fans and aid station volunteers were outstanding!  Seriously impressive work cheering and handing off fuel to us crazy cyclists!  My parents and Larry were awesome to be out there so long to see me pass by a few times and cheer loudly for me each time! Thanks so much!


In terms of the course itself, the pavement was great for the most part, and we had plenty of space except for a few short, tricky single file sections that were very stressful (due to the proximity of riders coming at you in the opposite direction and cars as well).  


I was fortunate to have made it through the bike course without any mechanical issues or significant GI troubles.  I saw a bunch of athletes with flat tires and many people were getting blown towards one another by the wind, but I managed to make it through all these obstacles in one piece.  I did have a minor headache for a little while, but I drank more fluids and my noggin felt better. (The headache did come back on the run for a little while though).

Overall the 1st lap went well and according to plan.  I didn't push the pace too hard as I focused on controlled efforts up the climbs and taking in as much nutrition as possible.  I knew I had to make the cutoffs, but also save some energy for the run (which I was determined to do this time!).  

Nutrition Plan: Drinking:  I brought a water bottle filled with concentrated Gu brew (blueberry pomegranate) (3x servings of mix) plus my spaceship bottle (Aero HC fitted with Camelback bite valve) filled with Gu brew (regular strength).  My idea was to drink the spaceship & refill it by grabbing water bottles at aid stations & adding 1/3 of my concentrated mix each time.  This worked pretty well, and it also allowed me to vary the concentration and alternate with plain water.  I grabbed a second concentrated bottle from special needs on lap 2 to do the same.  I probably drank 6-7 bottles worth of Gu brew beverage plus some additional water (at least 7-8 bottles of fluid).

Nutrition Plan: Eating: During the bike portion I consumed:  1.75 picky bars (smooth caffeinator), 3 bonk breakers (2 coconut cashew, 1 mocha), 1 pack of twizzlers, 2 smartees rolls (tasted too tart?), 3 banana halves, small pack of pretzels (1st thing I eat on the bike to settle swimmers stomach - I get really disoriented coming out of long swims & sometimes feel sick), 1 pack of shot blocks (citrus), 1 pack of honey stinger chews (pink lemonade- tasted too sweet so ate few here and there).  My goal was to eat at least 1 bar an hour after the 1st hour (when I ate shot blocks and pretzels) as well as consume a bottle of electrolyte mix per hour.

Bloopers: I completely forgot to open the seal on the sport top plastic cap for my lap 2 concentrated mix so tearing off a hard plastic strip with one hand while riding took me a while to figure out (drank water in the mean time).  I scared the crap out of one aid station volunteer because I wanted to grab a banana from her but I had to throw a bottle to free my hand first… As I threw the bottle, I somehow jerked my handlebar by accident & headed straight toward her for a second before I corrected my steering.  She jumped back so quickly! Then still managed to hand me a banana after that! I apologized as best could!  Rockstar volunteer!  Very brave!

Challenges: Biggest challenge was my uncomfortable undercarriage... My tri shorts were bugging me and I just couldn't get comfortable after mile 35 or so... I realized there was a long way to go after this so I just moved around in the saddle and stayed out of the aero bars for certain sections.  The headwind was mentally draining too as it seemed to be genuinely stronger on the second lap.  There were even some downhill sections where people were pedaling due to the wind!  I also couldn't remember where (mileage wise) the turnaround was on the second lap (near mile 90?) so every time I got to another little hill that leveled out, I would say “oh, it must be there!”... then when it wasn't, I would say, “no problem, I’ll just keep going!”  

Bike Results: 7hrs 44min, with avg speed sound 15mph with 2 quick stops & a jacket handoff



T2:

This was exciting! I was trying not to lose it as I entered transition & saw Larry & my parents cheering loudly for me!  They saw how terrible I felt missing the bike cutoff at IMLT, so I knew they really appreciated how I felt coming into T2.

I never thought I would be so excited to run a marathon after swimming 2.4 mi & cycling 112mi.  I know I must sound crazy!

In transition, I changed into running shorts (Oiselle long rogas) plus new socks with my Brooks adrenalines.  I stuffed my pockets with sports beans packs (2-3) hit the port o potty, sunscreened myself,  & filled my hand held 10 oz bottle (had pack of concentrated scratch labs pineapple mix in it for 16oz).  I also wore my GOTRIbalnow hat!


No comments:

Post a Comment