July 16, 2014

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2014 Race Report: Run


Run

My excitement had me flying onto the run course at an initial average pace of 8:39/mi for the first 2.5mi.  This was probably not the most sustainable pace I could have chosen for a marathon after swimming and cycling… so I gradually slowed to 10:30/mi running pace.  

Sometime after mile 1, my run took a really fun turn, as I made a new friend, Danielle, with whom I ran the rest of the marathon!  She made a joke about them not marking the half miles along the course as I ran next to her (had been running similar pace), and then I turned to see if she was talking to me?  I had just noticed her name on her race bib, so I told her I liked her name (also Danielle), and we were instant buddies.  We chatted a while and then decided to keep running together since we both had the same plan: to run steady but walk through the aid stations and any steep hills.  We actually did this until mile 17 when we started running intervals (run 5min walk 1 min – which both of us had planned as a backup for later in the race).  

It was genuinely awesome to run with my new friend!  We kept each other moving at a decent pace when it would have been easy to join the walking party happening around us.  We cheered for everyone we passed, and we looked like we were in much better spirits than most.  I was truly grateful for such good company.    We finished strong together & really enjoyed the run! 


Run course highlights:
The Fans! Wow - people know how to throw house parties in CDA!!! Loud music, dancing, drinking... inflatable booze bottles used as cheering items … athletes getting phone numbers from cheering ladies (yes - that happened to a dude wearing a tech shirt that had an American flag background with an airbrushed bald eagle head over the flag graphic.  He was also wearing a flag bandana as a headband.  Seriously – I was not dehydrated and seeing things… this happened!).  The comments on the second lap were a little less PG rated, and the high fives a little less accurate, but it was awesome.   

Other awesomeness: Seeing Larry and my Dad about half way through the run, neighbors with megaphones calling out racers names as they passed, kids with home made signs (one read “press here for power” and had button drawn on the poster, so obviously I had to accept this offer), “heart ironman” spelled out in golf balls on someone's front lawn, entire neighborhoods coming outside to cheer and offer water, some people were even thanking us for racing!?!  Also some drunk dude rambling from a dock, people on boats with speakers blaring music, the rocky theme song coming from somewhere...  Many of the dedicated volunteers at the run aid stations were dressed up according to various themes and were incredibly supportive.  It is really hard to describe how amazing it felt to truly have the support of the fans we brought with us but also everyone who lived along the course and in town in general.

Running into the beautiful sunset was also wonderful!  The course provided incredible views of the pine-topped hills and orangy-pink sky surrounding the picturesque lake.

Nutrition:  
I drank Scratch labs drink (pineapples 1st half, lemons limes 2nd) every mile as my Garmin watch buzzed as well as take in water at the aid stations.  I carried the drink in my hand held fuel belt palm holder water bottle (10oz), which worked really well.  Beginning at mile 14-15, I also drank a few sips of coke at each aid station.  Words cannot express how awesome Coke is while endurance racing! 

In terms of eating, I managed to consume one pack of sports beans by mile 4 on the course.  Then, my stomach decided that it did not want sports beans at all, so for the rest of the race, I switched to pretzels.  I ate about 3-4 of these at each aid station and also attempted a few bites of banana (which was also ok, but seemed a little sweet especially since this was pre-coke).  All I took from my special needs bag (around mile 13) was one Twizzler, a pack of scratch labs mix to refill my bottle, and a pack of sports beans (which I did not eat).  I also gave the volunteers at the special needs station a bag of jolly ranchers I specifically packed for them (just like I did on the bike!).  I figured they don’t get enough thank yous, and it would cheer me up to do something nice if I was having a rough day by then! (and jolly ranchers don’t really melt like many other candies)


Bloopers:  
I was triple fisting cups at the aid stations later in the race, which was probably pretty funny to watch (1 water, 1 coke, 1 pretzels).   I got slapped on the shoulder as a dedicated fan who had been attending an all day house party tried to give me a high five (somewhat missed and then hit my shoulder).  I heard some very supportive and interesting comments as Danielle and I approached cheering fans… Some people said that it was great we were running together, and later in the evening, the Double D jokes started up and the confusion over the 2 Danielles continued…. Go Danielle and…Danielle?!?  Good stuff!

Finish line: 
Blazeman roll
The finish line at CDA was by far the most spectacular one I have ever experienced.  The final quarter mile of the race through downtown CDA was incredible: fans lining the streets with arms outstretched for high fives from us crazy racers, tons of positive energy and cheering from all directions, Larry and parents with huge smiles and cheers, and then the finishers chute with the Ironman carpet that serves as a welcoming mat to that famed finish line where Mike Reilly tells you “You are an Ironman!”   There were too many flashes and bright lights to get emotional at the time (plus with all the high fives I was focusing on not falling or tripping), but thinking back at it, I am super proud and almost get a little choked up.  What a grand ending to an epic journey.  After giving my new running buddy a big hug, I was able to go back and Blazeman roll across that line to finish what I started as #179 at IMLT.

If you’re interested… You can actually watch me run and roll across the finish line by going to the event live coverage page, clicking on the top video (finish line) and scrolling to 1:24:00.   http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=coeurdalene&y=2014#axzz36YKjluaY

Race Time: 15hrs 3min
Danielles!



After thoughts:  
Overall, IMCDA was a surreal experience.  It is incredible what the body & mind can do with proper training!  I was so happy to be out there racing and feeling ok!  I was so grateful to have the chance to chase this ironman dream again and participate in this event.  All day I felt incredibly fortunate to have Larry supporting me and my parents there to cheer for me after so many years of driving me to practices, traveling to watch me play a game/participate in a meet and cheering at so many events.  I was also so thankful for my awesome coach who picked me up from my IMLT low and brought me to new heights as an athlete. 

(more info on coach/the club team in an upcoming post – stay tuned!) 



4 comments:

  1. Great recap, Danielle! Even though I had gotten a sneak preview last week, I still really enjoyed reading about your day out on the IMCDA course. The finish video was great -- so funny that you went back and rolled across. I'll have to ask you what that's about later. ;) Congrats again on your awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jen! You are the best! The roll is called a "Blazeman roll" and is in honor of Jon Blais who raced Kona in 2005 while battling ALS. Seeing the coverage of that race really inspired me, and I always wanted to race in his honor. I'll definitely write a post on this soon! Here's a link to the foundation established in his honor (I race for them as a charity athlete, a Blazeman Warrior). http://www.waronals.org

      Delete
  2. "Congrats!" sounds so lame for an accomplishment like this... maybe if I spell out "CONGRATULATIONS!"? This is amazing stuff Danielle, so glad Jen pointed me to your blog. The video's an absolute keeper, I think I'd still be rolling... that had to be a crazy adrenaline moment after 15 hours of pushing yourself and so many months of hardcore training. Gotta agree, it really is incredible what mind and body can accomplish together with the proper training, though it's not something you can ever really appreciate until you do it for (or to) yourself... how many times in the past two weeks have you heard, "15 hours? I can't even SLEEP that long!"?

    I trust you're basking in your triumph and enjoying some well-deserved time off. But now that you're a full-fledged Ironman (wow), as a fellow adrenaline junkie I have to ask... what's the next challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really appreciate all your kind words and cheers! I've been reading your blog as well - always excellent! I hope you're doing well and are looking forward to your next adventure. Not sure what's next for me... I have a few ideas but nothing official. I'll be aiming for shorter races for sure! :) Keep up the good work and hope to see you out there racing on the road or trail sometime soon!

      Delete