August 30, 2016

Moving together toward the start line

Sums up my Chicago Tri weekend!
       Chicago became tri-town this past weekend, as the Chicago Triathlon events took place at various venues across the Windy City.  I participated in my own version of the triple challenge, where I guided two Dare2tri athletes racing the Kids Triathlon and Super Sprint triathlon on Saturday, and then returned Sunday for the Sprint triathlon.  

       Meeting the family at Dare2tri has been an incredibly meaningful experience, and I am grateful for all they have taught me about the true meaning of teamwork in triathlon and life.  The dedication, hard work, and positive attitudes of their athletes, staff, and volunteers are inspiring.  It was an honor to guide their athletes, and I cannot thank them enough for welcoming me to their team.  


       I am struggling to capture the awesomeness of this past race weekend in words right now, so I will start by sharing the story of my first volunteer experience with this amazing organization.  The first time I heard of Dare2tri was through my Coach, Jim Lubinski, a Chicagoland native, pro-triathlete, and head of Red Performance Multisport.  Jim had so many wonderful things to say about this organization and its co-founders, including Melissa Stockwell, who he had interviewed on his podcast, Jim and the Other Guy (see episode released on 9-1-14).  After recently moving back to the Midwest, I was hoping to get more involved in local triathlon through volunteering, and Jim suggested I check out this excellent team.  On July 26-27, I volunteered at the Dare2Tri Kids Paratriathlon Training Camp in Chicago, IL. Below is a short entry I wrote after attending the camp!   
    
View of the finish line at the Dare2Tri Kids Training Camp Tri It Triathlon 

       As our group worked its way across the hot, sandy beach to the water’s edge, I was incredibly inspired by the athletes around me.  We moved together as a team toward the start line, making sure every athlete received the assistance they needed, whether it was a guiding hand, a lift over the last stretch of sand, or a few words of encouragement.  Although some athletes may have been nervous at the swim start, they were also beaming with excitement and pride as they entered the water.  There was a sense of togetherness, camaraderie, and encouragement that was unlike any event I have ever experienced.  Many of them were embarking on their first triathlon, yet they embodied the spirit of seasoned athletes and displayed perfectly what this sport is all about.  They proudly shared that sense of belonging you feel when you participate in sports together and challenge yourself to push past the boundaries of what you may have thought possible with those around you.

       I was honored to be part of this extraordinary race at the end of the Dare2tri Kids Paratriathlon Training Camp.  Over the course of 2 days, I witnessed these athletes grow as a team.  No one made them work together; they just naturally helped each other, even though in many cases they had just met.  They bonded while playing this new sport, and their positive energy was contagious.  I agree wholeheartedly that through Dare2tri, “one inspires many.”  I am incredibly grateful to have shared in this experience, and for what it taught me about the true meaning of sport.

       Everyone races for a different reason, but we share the love of sport and that quiet moment at the swim start when we all begin our race-day journey, together.  For some, getting to the start line is the victory.  Others aim to make it across that finish line with a smile.  Some compete for podium positions or to improve on their previous time at an event.  Each athlete has a personal goal, none greater than the next, and there is a sense of belonging that comes from working toward these goals together.

       Next time you are nervous or anxious at the start, take a moment to reflect why you are there.  Be proud to toe the line with the other athletes around you regardless of what their race goals may be.  Take this positive energy with you throughout the race.  As you push toward you own personal victory on course, be respectful, humble, inclusive, and encouraging.  You are part of something bigger than your PR.  You are part of a huge triathlon family and an ambassador for your sport.  Be like the Dare2tri athletes, and encourage others to join you, help others get to that start line, and cheer for others along their journey.  This will help you FINISH STRONG at your next race, and through your example, you will inspire others to join us in this wonderful sport.  
 
       To learn more about Dare2tri or to support their organization, please visit http://www.dare2tri.org or find them on Facebook, Twitter (@Dare2tri), or Instagram (dare2tri_).  They are the first sanctioned USA Paratriathlon Club and please watch their mini documentary to see how "one inspires many."
 
 Next post, coming soon: My favorite version of the Chicago Triathlon triple challenge!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment